Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

You are here: Skip Navigation LinksENABLE Scotland > Blog

February 04
By Steven McAvoy, Welfare Rights Adviser, ENABLE Scotland

If you live in a postcode area that beings with  G (Glasgow),  IV (Inverness), AB(Aberdeen), DD (Dundee), KA (Kilmarnock), KY (Kirkcaldy) or PH (Perth) then it is important that you know about the latest news from the Department of Work and Pensions about the roll-out of the Personal Independence Payment in Scotland.

It is also important you know exactly where to seek help if you, or someone you care for, currently receives Disability Living Allowance.

From the 26th of January 2015 people in the Glasgow and Inverness postcode areas receiving Disability Living Allowance will be asked to move over to the Personal Independence Payment if any of the following changes in circumstances occur:

  • you tell the DWP about a change in care or mobility needs;
  • a fixed term award of DLA is due to come to an end; or
  • a child in receipt of DLA turns 16.

If any of these situations apply to you then you will be sent an invitation to claim the Personal Independence Payment. If you do not respond to this invitation then your Disability Living Allowance will stop so please do not ignore this.

In February 2015 this change will extend to people in the postcode areas AB (Aberdeen), DD (Dundee), KA (Kilmarnock), KY (Kirkcaldy) or PH (Perth).

Since April 2013 anyone between the ages of 16 and 64 making a brand new claim for a disability benefit has claimed the Personal Independence Payment. The plan is that, eventually, all current Disability Living Allowance claimants in this age group will be moved onto the Personal Independence Payment.

Unfortunately we do not know exact details of when and where the Personal Independence Payment will be introduced for those not in the areas mentioned. We also do not know exactly when those with indefinite Disability Living Allowance awards will be asked to change over.

Disability Living Allowance will remain in place for those under 16 and there are no current plans to change this.

The best thing that anyone who receives a letter about Disability Living Allowance can do is to seek advice from a free, impartial advice service.

ENABLE Scotland can help advise you on the changeover to the Personal Independence Payment, or help point you in the direction of a local advice agency to assist.

You can contact our ENABLE Direct helpline on 0300 0200 101 for further information.

Branches are also welcome to contact us if members feel that they would benefit from group information on this subject.

There are no items to show in this view of the "Comments" list. To add a new item, click "New".

Add Comment

Items on this list require content approval. Your submission will not appear in public views until approved by someone with proper rights. More information on content approval.

Name *

Comments *

Email *




ENABLE Scotland,INSPIRE House,3 Renshaw Place,Eurocentral,N Lanarkshire,ML1 4UF.Tel: 01698 737 000. Registered Charity Number SC009024

ENABLE Scotland is a partner in the Scottish Consortium for Learning Disability SCLD Site Admin