Navigate Up
Sign In
You are here: Skip Navigation LinksENABLE Scotland > Families > Under 18 > Co-ordinated support plans

Co-ordinated support plans

Co-ordinated support plans
Some children will have support needs that are significant, multiple or complex. If those needs will last a year or more and will require significant additional support from more than one agency, then the child may be eligible for a coordinated support plan.
The co-ordinated support plan is a formal document and it can be helpful, but remember your child has a right to proper educational support, whether or not he or she has a co-ordinated support plan.
A co-ordinated support plan covers:
  • why your child has additional support needs;
  • your child’s educational needs;
  • the additional support that is required;
  • your child’s skills and strengths;
  • who will provide the support;
  • who will be responsible for arranging the support;
  • the school that your child attends;
  • details of the person you can contact to find out about the plan;
  • contact details and the preferred method of communication of the young person in the plan and his or her parents or guardians;
  • a statement by the young person in the plan (optional); and
  • a review timetable.
To get a co-ordinated support plan your child needs a formal assessment. You can write and ask the local education authority to carry out an assessment to see if a co-ordinated support plan is needed, or the school can ask for one. If you want to make sure that your child is seen as part of this assessment, then ask for a psychological examination. You can use our co-ordinated suppoprt plan sample letters to help you start the assessment process
The local authority must investigate (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and decide whether your child has additional support needs and whether he or she needs a co-ordinated support plan.
It must tell you whether it will do this within four weeks of receiving your letter. It then has another 16 weeks to gather relevant information and provide you with a plan or tell you why it believes that your child does not need one. This can be extended to 24 weeks where schools are on holiday or for some other reasonable delay. If you are unhappy with a decision about a co-ordinated support plan, you may be able to appeal to an Additional Support Needs Tribunal.
For more information, contact your local authority education department or Enquire, the Scottish Advice Service for Additional Support for Learning. 

ENABLE Scotland,INSPIRE House,3 Renshaw Place,Eurocentral,N Lanarkshire,ML1 4UF.Tel: 01698 737 000. Registered Charity Number SC009024

ENABLE Scotland is a partner in the Scottish Consortium for Learning Disability SCLD Site Admin