Please be aware that the current Government Guidance is NOT to go to the GP or call NHS 24 if you believe you have the virus.
The guidance now asks only to contact either your GP or NHS 24 if symptoms are severe.
A free helpline has been set up for people who do not have symptoms but are looking for general advice: 0800 028 2816.
New UK Government Guidance
Many of you will have seen the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson speaking last night. With the exception of the new guidance on quarantining of travellers arriving to the UK for 14 days; the guidance applies only to England.
The only change in Scotland is on exercising more than once a day.
Today at the daily press conference, the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon emphasised that UK Government announcements on lockdown relaxations did not apply in Scotland and the Scottish Government’s message remained unchanged. She reiterated that sunbathing and picnics were not permitted and urged the media to report clearly on the different restrictions in place in different UK nations.
In Scotland the message remains stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives.
New Exercise Guidance
The Scottish Government announced changes to the amount that people can exercise outdoors – it is now permitted to exercise outdoors more than once per day. Guidance states that this should be done safely, close to home and keeping a two-metre distance from non-family members. This does not mean that people should sunbathe or have picnics or barbecues.
The position, as of 11 May, is that people should leave home only for:
- Shopping for basic necessities
- Daily exercise
- Any medical need/care for a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, only if absolutely necessary
Other useful websites for up-to-date advice and information around Coronavirus:
- National Wellbeing Hub: www.promis.scot
- Scottish Government workplace Advice: https://www.gov.scot/news/workplace-advice-contained-in-new-coronavirus-guidance/
- NHS: https://hpspubsrepo.blob.core.windows.net/hps-website/nss/2973/documents/1_COVID-19-Guidance-for-non-healthcare-settings.pdf
- UK Government: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-social-or-community-care-and-residential-settings-on-covid-19/guidance-for-social-or-community-care-and-residential-settings-on-covid-19
- UK Government Travel Advice: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
- Ready Scotland: Preparing for and dealing with emergencies: https://www.readyscotland.org/coronavirus/
- Citizens Advice Scotland: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/health/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-you-s/
- SCVO: Coronavirus Third Sector Information HUB: https://scvo.org.uk/support/coronavirus
- The Scottish Association for Mental Health (SAMH): https://www.samh.org.uk/about-mental-health/self-help-and-wellbeing/coronavirus-and-your-mental-wellbeing