The programme, led through ENABLE Works, enables young Scots who have a learning disability to attend a leading business school, achieve an accredited qualification and gain real work with some of Scotland’s largest employers.
Since it started in 2018, the programme has provided young disabled people with an invaluable route into employment. It has been commended by the Scottish Government Minister for Business, Fair Work and Skills, Jamie Hepburn MSP and the Minister for Trade, Investment and Innovation, Ivan McKee MSP. It has also been recognised in awards including:
- Winner of the Spotlight Award at the Scottish Knowledge Exchange Awards 2020
- Winner of the Widening Participation/Outreach Initiative of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards 2019
- Winner of the Youth Employment Award at The Herald Diversity Awards 2018
- Finalist in the Pioneering Project category of the Scottish Charity Awards 2018
- Shortlisted for the Education Initiative of the Year award at the Herald Society Awards 2018
In 2019, Breaking Barriers students travelled to Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid, to share their stories and hear the experiences of Spanish students.
Michael Higgins participated in the Breaking Barriers programme and explains just what it means to him:
You can find out more about what makes Breaking Barriers so ground-breaking in the following video: