Introduced in 2018, Breaking Barriers is an award-winning and transformative education and employment programme, which supports adults with learning disabilities to gain accredited qualifications from one of the UK’s leading business schools.
The programme is run by ENABLE Works and the University of Strathclyde’s business school in conjunction with our business partners ScottishPower and STV.
Participants are supported in their studies and given the opportunity to spend eight weeks applying their learning in-house with one of the scheme’s business partners, to get first-hand work experience in specialist areas before embarking on the world of work.
The Breaking Barriers programme is about much more than just studying. It’s about growing confidence, opening up opportunities and encouraging other institutions to put inclusivity at the heart of how they operate as well.
The Breaking Barriers programme has been recognised with the following awards:
- Winner of the Spotlight Award at the Scottish Knowledge Exchange Awards 2020
- Winner of the Widening Participation/Outreach Initiative of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards 2019
- Winner of the Youth Employment Award at The Herald Diversity Awards 2018
- Finalist in the Pioneering Project category of the Scottish Charity Awards 2018
- Shortlisted for the Education Initiative of the Year award at the Herald Society Awards 2018